DED sets new standards for licensing grocery stores

June 2, 2016 | By RetailME Bureau

The Department of Economic Development (DED) in Dubai has introduced new standards for licensing groceries in the emirate to establish a uniform identity for such stores and make them look consistent from inside and outside. The new international standards will be effective from the second half of 2016. Groceries currently operating in Dubai will have time till the second half of 2018 to ensure full compliance with the standards.

The new standards are part of DED’s efforts to improve the quality of services available to the public in Dubai, particularly in the retail sector, to consolidate the emirate’s status as a premier global shopping destination.

The new criteria, which cover basic and operational requirements, seek to unify logo and business identity; colour scheme; signage; exterior finish; interior (fixtures and display units); storage area as well as fittings and lighting. The operational requirements should comply with Dubai Municipality’s Health & General Safety Department standards for store design, product display and classification, training, storage, health and personal hygiene, smoking and prohibited pets.

“DED seeks to make a quantum leap in Dubai’s shopping experience with these new standards. They will enable groceries to reflect the growth attained by the city in terms of infrastructure and service quality. They stem from the emirate’s policy to enhance competitiveness in business sectors and meet the needs of the local community as well as visitors,” says Omar Bushahab, CEO of the business registration & licensing (BRL) sector in DED.

According to him, Dubai has more than 2,800 groceries as per 2015 estimates and the number is increasing. The diversity of nationalities and Dubai’s advanced infrastructure present the opportunity for grocery stores to improve their services.

“The standards mark the first phase of DED’s development strategy. The next phase will see uniform standards extended to other important sectors, based on opinion polls and studies we conduct,” adds Bushahab.

“The BRL team held meetings with 140 grocery store owners in Dubai, chosen according to areas in Dubai and nationalities of the owners, to cover the largest possible segment of people across the emirate. We briefed the store owners on the new criteria, including those relating to displays and internal as well as external appearance. We also emphasised the importance of these standards for sustaining their business,” says Walid Abdul Malik, head of business licensing in DED.

“Grocery owners can start implementing the new standards immediately and the DED will facilitate closure of shops if the owners wish to start the improvement process. They have two years to complete the changes and ensure full compliance with the new standards. We expect 20% of the grocery stores to comply with the new standards by end-2016, and the remaining 80% to complete the transition by 2018,” explains Abdul Malik.



Previous Article Next Article


Union Coop, a consumer cooperative in the UAE, revealed that 78% of 

Continue Reading

August 24, 2021 | By Jibran Chouguley

Union Coop has opened its 23rd branch within the UAE in Jumeirah 

Continue Reading

August 2, 2021 | By Jibran Chouguley

Nando’s has revealed their revamped Sheikh Zayed Road outlet where newcomers and 

Continue Reading

July 8, 2021 | By Jibran Chouguley

UAE-based Al Maya Group announced that it will be boosting import of 

Continue Reading

June 24, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based grocery retail chain, Grandiose has opened its first hypermarket in Abu 

Continue Reading

June 2, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based Carrefour announced its theme and plans for Ramadan 2021. The brand 

Continue Reading

March 31, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

Locally owned supermarket Spinneys celebrates 60 years of doing business in the 

Continue Reading

March 9, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau
Almarai, Carrefour, Emirates have the most loyal customers

UAE-based Carrefour will become the first retailer in the region to offer new levels 

Continue Reading

February 22, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

The Organic Farmers’ Market is back in Bay Avenue for its 12th 

Continue Reading

February 17, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based  Lulu Group recently inaugurated its first-ever all-female staff store in Jeddah, 

Continue Reading

February 15, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau
Jones the grocer

Jones the Grocer, the gourmet grocer and cheese retailer launches the Jones 

Continue Reading

February 1, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based Al Maya Supermarkets is hosting a two-week food festival at select 

Continue Reading

January 17, 2021 | By Lawrence Pinto

Download Images RetailME Magazine