Study reveals shopping behaviour during Ramadan

June 1, 2020 | By RetailME Bureau

ArabClicks, the affiliate network of the Arab world, in cooperation with OMNES Media, conducted a survey to analyse individual shopping behaviour and interaction during the holy month of Ramadan.

The survey conducted among 8,500 participants, of which 65% were male and the remaining 35% were female. The highest number of participants taking part in the survey were from Saudi Arabia with a total of 50%, they were followed by Egypt with 15% and UAE with 10% participants.

 “Analysis of consumer behaviour is essential to help get a deeper insight into consumer expectations. Studies help marketers better understand the needs of the consumers and focus their marketing efforts in either improving or changing them. I want to thank OMNES Media for supporting us on this project, and we also look forward to collaborating with them on future endeavours,” comments Mauro Romano, CEO and co-founder of ArabClicks.

Questions in the survey touched on various aspects of consumer behaviour. On asking whether purchases of food, drink, and household necessities are rising during the month of Ramadan, 57% of respondents strongly agreed, other 37% only agreed, whereas 5% did not agree while 1% strongly disagreed. When asked about how often they buy food, drink, and household items in a week, 30% respondents said once; another 28% said twice whereas the rest 21% purchase items thrice a week and 20% purchase more than thrice a week.

Respondents answering a question on whether the expense of buying consumable items increases during Ramadan, 60% agreed that their purchasing capacity increases by 50%. In contrast, another 15% said it increases by 100%. In comparison, 3% said it increased by 200%. The remaining 23% of respondents stated that their purchases do not increase at all during the month.

Approximately 58% of respondents said they find it convenient to purchase these consumable items from malls and supermarkets, 15% prefer shopping via digital platforms, another 15% using smartphone applications. In contrast, the remaining 12% prefer shopping through consumer associations. Some of the highly purchased items during the month include meat, poultry, and fish accounting 26% of the respondent’s purchases, 23% shop for vegetables and fruits, whereas 11% respondents purchase egg and dairy items. 

About 47% of participants highly rely on the type of digital services provided by consumer outlets in their country. About 30% of respondents feel the services do not meet the required standards in their country, 15% find it challenging to access these platforms due to digital problems. Another 9% believe there are not sufficient digital services in their country.

In terms of their preferred time to shop online, 23% shop between 8 am-12 pm, 27% find it comfortable to buy between 12 pm-4 pm, 24% between 5 pm-10 pm and 26% prefer shopping later in the night after 10 pm. About 63% of respondents make a weekly purchase of less than $100, 33% make purchases between $100-$300, whereas the remaining 4% spend over $300 in online shopping. 



Previous Article Next Article


Union Coop, a consumer cooperative in the UAE, revealed that 78% of 

Continue Reading

August 24, 2021 | By Jibran Chouguley

Union Coop has opened its 23rd branch within the UAE in Jumeirah 

Continue Reading

August 2, 2021 | By Jibran Chouguley

Nando’s has revealed their revamped Sheikh Zayed Road outlet where newcomers and 

Continue Reading

July 8, 2021 | By Jibran Chouguley

UAE-based Al Maya Group announced that it will be boosting import of 

Continue Reading

June 24, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based grocery retail chain, Grandiose has opened its first hypermarket in Abu 

Continue Reading

June 2, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based Carrefour announced its theme and plans for Ramadan 2021. The brand 

Continue Reading

March 31, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

Locally owned supermarket Spinneys celebrates 60 years of doing business in the 

Continue Reading

March 9, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau
Almarai, Carrefour, Emirates have the most loyal customers

UAE-based Carrefour will become the first retailer in the region to offer new levels 

Continue Reading

February 22, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

The Organic Farmers’ Market is back in Bay Avenue for its 12th 

Continue Reading

February 17, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based  Lulu Group recently inaugurated its first-ever all-female staff store in Jeddah, 

Continue Reading

February 15, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau
Jones the grocer

Jones the Grocer, the gourmet grocer and cheese retailer launches the Jones 

Continue Reading

February 1, 2021 | By RetailME Bureau

UAE-based Al Maya Supermarkets is hosting a two-week food festival at select 

Continue Reading

January 17, 2021 | By Lawrence Pinto

Download Images RetailME Magazine