Dubai-based supermarket and community malls chain aswaaq has announced its support for the ‘Year of Giving’, an initiative declared by the UAE president His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, for the year 2017.
In line with the Year of Giving initiative, aswaaq has launched six philanthropic initiatives for both customers and employees, which aim to foster a spirit of giving, benefitting the community.
To be launched in the first day of Ramadan, aswaaq’s six giving initiatives will be channelled to the community through two key UAE-based charities – Dar Al Ber Society, which supports over 18,000 regional and international projects; and Bait Al Khair Society, a humanitarian society which provides aid to those in need in the UAE.
The new charity initiatives are part of the company’s ongoing focus on its corporate social responsibilities and dedication to engaging with local communities across the emirates. With six ways to donate their time, money or essential groceries during 2017, aswaaq is offering its staff and customers more choices to make a difference:
- ‘The Basket of Giving’ will see 2,000 food baskets packed with essential supplies distributed to needy families across the emirates.
- ‘The Fils of Giving’ gives aswaaq customers the opportunity, all over the year, to donate small denominations (in fils) of the change from their shopping bill to charity.
- ‘The Hour of Giving’ will see aswaaq employees donating a total of 10,000 hours to community activities benefitting society.
- ‘The Box of Giving’ contains four different items (water, cake, fruit and juice) for just AED1, the sales proceeds to be donated to charity.
- ‘The Dirham of Giving’ highlights key aswaaq products where AED1 will be donated by aswaaq for every item bought of each key product.
- ‘The Voucher of Giving’ is a discounted aswaaq voucher, which customers can purchase and donate to an individual in need.
“We are keen on supporting all the government initiatives and offer our full support to the Year of Giving 2017, fulfilling the vision of His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan,” says aswaaq CEO Yousuf Sharaf. “By offering a range of ways to get involved in charitable giving, we hope that our customers and staff are inspired to take part in the Year of Giving for the benefit of the community and the wider society.”
“We are delighted to partner with aswaaq for the Year of Giving 2017,” adds Hisham Ahmed Al Zahrani, deputy director social service at Dar Al Ber. “aswaaq shares many of our values as we encourage UAE residents to come together as a community and create a better society for all. By donating their time and money as part of this initiative, aswaaq customers can be confident that their donations will make a real difference to those in need.”