Global Fashion Group-Emaar Malls announce partnership to develop Namshi

Global Fashion Group (GFG), a fashion e-commerce platform in the emerging markets, and Emaar Malls, the shopping malls and retail business majority-owned by property developer Emaar Properties, are set to form a strategic partnership to further the growth of online fashion retailer Namshi.

Under the partnership, Emaar Malls will acquire a 51% stake in Namshi for $151 million, which includes investment in the company for its future growth, while GFG will retain the remaining 49% stake. This partnership will accelerate Namshi’s development in the region and allow it to continue to flourish as the region’s pre-eminent fashion e-commerce destination.

Emaar Malls will support the company to access additional fashion brands, further develop its logistics infrastructure and expand its geographical footprint in adjacent countries. Namshi will continue to benefit from GFG’s network, expertise in fashion e-commerce and shared resources such as global brand acquisition and global IT development and innovation.

“The acquisition of a majority stake in Namshi underlines our digital-driven strategy to leverage the growing e-commerce market in the Middle East and North Africa region. Namshi offers a perfect fit for Emaar Malls in accelerating its focus on multi-channel retailing and creating long-term value for its stakeholders,” says Mohamed Alabbar, chairman, Emaar Malls and Emaar Properties.

“We are very excited to welcome Emaar Malls as our majority shareholder. We are confident that this partnership will unlock further opportunities and help accelerate the development of Namshi for the benefit of our customers. We would like to congratulate and thank our team for their tireless efforts in making Namshi the Middle East’s premier fashion e-commerce destination and we look forward to continuing this journey together with Emaar Malls and GFG,” adds Namshi MD Hosam Arab.

“We are proud of how Namshi contributes to the growth and vibrancy of e-commerce in the Middle East since its inception in 2012 and I would like to congratulate the management team for their great accomplishment. With the complementary strengths of Emaar Malls and GFG, Namshi is now more than ever uniquely positioned to be the best long-term partner for fashion brands and customers in the region. GFG’s partnership with Emaar Malls follows the Group’s strong performance in 2016 and is another step in our journey to create sustainable, profitable fashion e-commerce leaders in each of our regions,” states Romain Voog, CEO, GFG.

Closing of the transaction is expected to take place within three months.

Led by co-founders Arab, Faraz Khalid and Hisham Zarka, Namshi was launched in 2012 and offers a wide range of over 50,000 products across more than 600 international and local fashion brands and its own private labels. The company already serves over 750,000 customers across the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain. It provides a superior delivery experience with same-day delivery in the UAE and express delivery to Saudi Arabia, supported by its own warehouse located in Dubai and network of proprietary and third party courier networks.

Comments

comments